Information on this page covers general topics of the election processes. Documentation concerning past, present, and future elections can be found in the Document Center, under the Clerk folder and then the Election folder.


Get information on the following topics:

  • Voting Assistance
  • Party Affiliation
  • Sick, Physically Disabled, or Illiterate Voters
  • Voting Hours
  • Write-In Voting

America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA)

 Voters need to provide identification to a county election official or to election worker at the polling site. The name and address on the form used for identification must match the voter registration information. Acceptable forms of ID are as follows:

  • A driver's license or non-driver's identification card issued by Kansas or by another state or district of the United States.
  • A concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or a concealed carry of handgun or weapon license issued by another state or district of the United States.
  • A United States passport.
  • An employee badge or identification document issued by a municipal, county, state, or federal government office.
  • A military identification document issued by the United States.
  • A student identification card issued by an accredited postsecondary institution of education in the state of Kansas.
  • A public assistance identification card issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office.
  • An identification card issued by an Indian tribe.

Exemptions from the Photo ID Requirement

  • Persons age 65 or older may use expired photo ID documents.
  • Military and overseas citizens who vote under the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).
  • All-Mail-Ballot elections. Mail ballot elections are limited to local jurisdictions holding special question-submitted elections & must be approved by the Secretary of State.
  • Voters who qualify, apply and are accepted to the Permanent Advance voting list, as long as they remain on that listing.
  • Any person whose religious beliefs prohibit photographic identification may be exempted from the photo ID requirement. Any such person must complete and sign a Form DRO (Español) (Declaration of Religious Objection).